The State Registrar reserves the right (§32.1-271C) to accept or deny any application submitted.
Anyone requesting a vital record must submit a photocopy of their identification. The acceptable documents listed may change without prior notice.
Who is entitled to obtain records- next of kin/immediate family which includes mother, father, husband, wife, child, brother, sister with valid ID. Newborn babies and children will not have ID; therefore, the parent’s ID is required.
- Virginia DMV-issued driver’s license unexpired or expired for not more than one year.
- Virginia DMV-issued learner’s/instruction permit unexpired or expired for not more than one year.
- Virginia DMV-issued photo identification card (excluding child ID cards) unexpired or expired for not more than one year.
- Unexpired driver’s license or learner’s /instruction permit (with photo), issued by a U.S. state (other than Virginia), jurisdiction or territory.
- Current Photo ID card, (school and employment). Check Cashing Cards are not acceptable.
- Unexpired U.S. military ID card of an active duty or retired member (ID cards of military dependents are not acceptable as primary identity documents).
- Unexpired U.S. passport.
- Unexpired foreign passport with a visa, I-94 or I-94W or I-551 stamp. An I-94W MUST be from a country participating in the Visa Waiver Pilot Program.
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (form N-550, N-570 or N-578).
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (form N-560 or N-561).
- U.S. Citizen Identification Card (form I-197).
- School School Id Card Template Unexpired Temporary Resident Card (form I-688).
- School School Id Card Template Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (form I-688A, I-688B or I-766).
- Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (form I-571).
- Unexpired Resident Alien Card, Permanent Resident Card, Northern Marianas Card (form I-551).
- A copy of the first and last page of an application for asylum (Request for Asylum in the United States) provided the pages are accompanied by either a receipt from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing the application has been filed or documentation verifying the application is pending in immigration court;
OR Documentation indicating a decision to grant asylum by the Asylum Office or the original of a document granting asylum issued by an immigration judge or the INS. Either or both of these documents will count as one primary document.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (form FS-240) or Certification of Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (Form DS-1350)
- Virginia Criminal Justice Agency Offender Information Form.
- United States Probation Offender Information Form.
Secondary Documents (Require two of below selections)
- U.S. Selective Service Card.
- School School Id Card Template U.S. military discharge papers (form DD214).
- Certified copy of school records/transcript issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory or by a state-accredited private school OR a Virginia Department of Education Certificate of Enrollment form (a report card is not acceptable).
- Health care insurance card.
- Life insurance policy.
- Unexpired welfare/social services identification card with photo, issued by a municipality.
- State-issued driver’s license or learner’s/instruction permit (other than Virginia), with photo, expired not more than five years. World Crafty For Around The Africa Crafts And Make Crow Things South Activities Do To - Kids
- State-issued photo identification card (other than Virginia) expired not more than five years.
- U.S. passport — expired not more than five years.
- Foreign passport — expired not more than five years, with a visa, I-94 or I-94W, or I-551 stamp. An I-94W must be from a country participating in the Visa Waiver Pilot Program.
- Unexpired military dependent ID card, with photo.
- School School Id Card Template Unexpired weapons or gun permit issued by federal, state or municipal government.
- Unexpired pilot’s license.
- INS form I-797 (applicable only for individuals whose names appear on the form).
- U.S Department of State form IAP-66 (applicable only for the individuals whose names appear on the form).
- School School Id Card Template Veterans’ Universal Access Identification Card.
If you have none of the above identification and are requesting a birth certificate for your child, please provide a letter from the hospital (their letterhead) where the child was born along with a letter (their letterhead) from the health care provider who provided the mother prenatal care. The letter from the health care provider shall include the dates prenatal care began and ceased, name of the mother and the name, signature and title of the person preparing the letter.
VA Dept of Health, Office of Vital Records and Health Statistics
P.O. Box 1000, Richmond, Virginia, 23218-1000
Information Line: (804) 662-6200